CARBON FIBRE REINFORCED POLYMER (FRP)
Application for externally bonded carbon FRP, external rebar.
As a specialist in reinforcing constructions, SealteQ notices that external reinforcement by means of externally bonded FRP can be applied successfully increasingly often. Besides the fact that there is more familiarity with its many versions and options, it is also gaining ground because it has many advantages when it comes to strengthening concrete constructions and/or brickwork.
There are many different types of carbon FRP rebar, it comes in different dimensions, it can be unidirectional or multidirectional, it can come with or without end anchorage, etc. In every construction intervention, a constructor needs to produce calculations that deal with the constructive modification and take account of the specific material-technical properties of the FRP rebar.
The carbon FRP rebar system is applied when the service load on beams, floors or bridges is increased.
Carbon FRP rebar is also the solution when:
- There are changes or improvements to existing constructions.
- Walls or pillars are removed.
- There is insufficient rebar or concrete coverage.
- When there is damage to concrete constructions due to mechanical overload, fire or other disasters.
Carbon FRP rebar or a variation is applied when:
- The service load of construction elements is increased.
- The load structure is changed or modified.
- In damage situations, such as fire, mechanical overload or other disasters.
- Traditional reinforcement is not an option in constructive modifications, because of access or other restricting conditions. An example of such a restricting conditions is the presence of many chlorides or salts, that ensure that normal steel rebar will corrode more quickly.